This is a problem I may be encountering in the future. I may be moving outside the city where the closest gym is about 30 km away and I will have no car and to bike that with a baby…might as well be the workout itself!
I was spending a lot of time thinking about whether I wanted to make this move or not. I grew up in a small town in the middle of no where, but it was still a town, so you could still walk to the grocery store and go to the gym when it was open (which was only certain very small alloted times during the day), and it was mostly convenient if you didn’t have a car. I had a bike so it wasn’t really a big deal. However, that’s much different than actually living far from… anything, the closest Superstore is where the closest gym is, and so are any other errand necessity places. How does this tie in with my motivation?
I’ve never had the motivation to work out at home, I hate working out at home, first off I usually can never get the motivation to do so, second of all there’s no iron around to inspire me to pick it up, no other people there to help you get into the zone.
I can’t run much because of my constant knee problems and also: I don’t have money to go see an osteopath to get the problem sorted out, what am I going to do in the winter time: snow, cardio? The place I’d be moving into doesn’t have high enough ceiling to skip and purchasing a spin bike for indoors…well space is limited and that’s a bit more than I’d want to spend though not totally out of the question. How do I keep myself motivated to workout 3-4x/week?
These are the ideas I have so far for motivating myself in terms of making my fitness goals realistic:
– Figure out to see an osteopath to get back into running, we will be living by the water and there won’t be as much pavement so I could always try, I’m sure I could find a neighbour who is into running and needs just as much motivation as I do. Either that or cycling, there’s lots of hills, cycling to and from peggys cove when the weather permits could always be a fun ride!
– Definitely buying a TRX, those things are amazing and they don’t require an insane amount of space. In terms of using it.. I’m definitely going to have to have inspiring images around me to make sure that I keep focused and set aside a time, perhaps with Paul so that we both can motivate each other.
– When I come into the city on the weekends, make sure I lift weights both days and then perhaps during the week I can make it in once to do that extra weight workout.
– Volunteering at the gym in the evenings( when the car would be available to me) to teach a class like spin or do a more weight lifting like class like bodypump (nearest gym is a goodlife) so that it helps me keep tabs on myself and forces me to maintain.
– Who knows, I could probably easily start up a bootcamp out that way, in a rather semi deserted area like that I’m sure I’m not the only one who’d be starving for motivation, so why not give others the opportunity to workout? I’d have to buy some extra insurance but that’s not a big deal.
Is anyone else in this same position? Any ideas, tips or comments you’d like to share? I’d like to hear what other people think. 🙂